Dr. Geoff Rolls, a psychologist at Southampton University in England has come up with a seven-item FORMULA for a perfect family road trip. See what you think...
1. Pick a day with good weather.
2. Make sure the car has been checked out and won't break down.
3. Pick a destination that appeals to the whole family . . . that's NO MORE THAN 100 MILES away.
4. Give the kids specific jobs that are fun, and offer some responsibility on the trip . . . like organizing a picnic lunch or spotting places to stop for photos.
5. Plan a stop to eat halfway through the drive.
6. Make sure everyone in the car has something to entertain them for the ride.
7. Make sure you have alternate routes planned if there's traffic.